Author photo

By LuAnn Schindler
Publisher 

Preserving the past

Clearwater museum opens in former 1928 filling station

 

LuAnn Schindler | SAM

Historic moment • Clearwater Historical Society members welcome alumni and area residents to the museum, located at 402 Nebraska Street, on May 27. The newly-opened facility underwent a major renovation at the site, which originally opened as the Contois Bros. filling station in 1928. The museum currently includes school, rodeo and business memorabilia.

In 1928, the red brick building, located at the intersection of Main and Nebraska streets, in Clearwater, opened as Contois Bros. Service Station.

An early advertisement for the premises lured customers with the promise of "a free box of chocolates for each customer that fills their gas tank, at our new service station." In all capital letters, and off center, the ad concludes with "TODAY."

The modern filling station featured a ladies restroom and shower baths for both men and women, with hot and cold water.

Ninety-five years after opening for business along Highway 108, the building still...



For access to this article please sign in or subscribe.

 

Reader Comments(0)

 
 

Powered by ROAR Online Publication Software from Lions Light Corporation
© Copyright 2024

Rendered 03/03/2024 11:28